Sunday, October 1, 2017

Case this Sketch #241

I have a slightly different take on this week's Case This Sketch #241. This week they took a previous sketch as our inspiration and this particular one goes back about 4 or 5 years.  Back then I didn't make cards and challenge blogs weren't even on my radar. I've been a card maker for about 2½ years now.  For my take on this sketch, I mirrored it in my card, moving the focal point from the bottom right to the upper left.  I just love this Mistletoe Print from Gina K Designs Winter Cheer paper pack.  It's my favorite of the whole pack although I like all of the prints.

On Tuesday of this week, I die cut a whole bunch of these Beautiful Berries: Winter using the Beautiful Berries: Winter Dies so that I could stamp them in a variety of colors and get a feel for what I could do with them.  I've found that this really generates ideas in so many different directions and is a great way for me to get my mojo going. These particular berries are stamped in Pinefeather, Pure Poppy and Scarlet Jewel for the shadow portion of the berries.  Because I was using my MISTI and double stamping, I set them aside to dry while I stamped some in other colors -- shades of purple and blue. When I finished all that I had cut, I decided to embellish some of them with my stash of glitter from a decade ago. I have a whole set of little bottles that came in a set from Martha Stewart years ago plus a few more the same size from Recollections. When we lived in the Dallas area, we had a Recollections Store just about 1 mile up the road.  It closed before we moved away in 2010. You probably already know that it was a store owned by Michaels Arts & Crafts and you can still find the Recollections brand in Michaels Stores.

So anyhow, I used a Quickie Glue Pen and went over the shaded part of the berry stamping and then sprinkled Garnet Glitter over it, tapping off the excess.  I loved the effect so I decided to glitter all of the berries on my die cuts.  After all, I am making Christmas Cards - we should have a bit of sparkle and shine. It's a little hard to get the full effect in the photo, but I think you'll get the general idea.

In hindsight, I wish I would have added a solid color paper as a background panel for that little bit of solid color around the pattern. By the time I thought of it, it was too late to pull the patterned paper up to change it.  I tried, but I had already smoothed that down to my Stamper's Select White top folding card base with my Teflon Bone Folder.

The gold die cut on this card is a die that was included in the 2014 Papertrey Ink Renaissance Collection for Stamp-A-Faire. I bought this on the For Sale or Trade Forum at Papertrey.  I love it and have used it several times on a card.  Because it is so delicate, it's perfect anytime I need a special touch that isn't overwhelming. The banner is from Tag Sale: Quilted and the sentiment is one from Cutaway Tags: Winter. I stamped in Versamark and heat set with Gold Embossing Powder. Because I am planning to give this card to someone in particular, I also adorned the gold die cut with some little gems.


I'm planning to die cut and stamp a few more of these berry boughs today because I want to create another card like this only with the colored background panel this time.  Thank you for spending a bit of time with me today.  I hope you enjoy my take on the sketch and will stop by the Case This Sketch Challenge Blog to see everyone's projects.  The gallery is always full of inspiration.

1 comment:

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!